Blog-memes seem to be rather rare beasts, and mostly replaced by notes in facebook these days.
However, this “list 15 important bars”-list was attractive enough a topic to catch up on.
I’m pretty sure the list is more or less accurate, but I’m leaving spot #15 unfilled just in case there happens to be a pub that I’ve gracelessly forgotten:
- Kuparipannu (first beer ever, long gone from Korkeavuorenkatu and replaced by multiple pubs and restaurants since – currently Gastone resides in the location).
- Tavastia (my first ever genuine bar gig was in the biggest Scandinavia’s biggest rock’n'roll club, and I’ve been back plenty of times since).
- Rendez-Vous (the not-so-hot-pub in Forum was the first place I ever got tossed out of ).
- William K @ Annankatu (the first proper beer bar I got introduced to – the widening horizons beyond eurolager have deep roots here).
- The Pie (the closest beer-serving location to the campus at the U was a frequent haunt during the exchange year of 1993-94).
- Talentti (inception of SIG, a group of like-minded co-workers, conveniently next door to the office on Valimotie).
- Macondo (SIG 2.0, after the move to Hiomotie facility, far grungier, but had reasonable opening hours).
- Base (SIG downtown these days [albeit rarely] and a fine rock’n'roll bar, with a respectably metallic soundtrack).
- Sling In (forcibly introducing the concept of tall and borderline sweet drinks).
- American Bar (the finest in Helsinki).
- Kaisla (still my #1 choice of a beer bar in Helsinki).
- King City / Mr. Lau (neighbourhood joint for a decade).
- Plevna (the second most common extra-curricular location in Tampere, after Swamp Music).
- Boston Beerworks (always something truly interesting on tap).
Purposefully left out a couple of good candidates.
The bars in Ruoholahti are not that common haunts yet (though both Amsterdam and One Pint are pleasant indeed), there’s no bar worth a mention in Espoo (might change on the first visit to Gallows Bird).