- Film: Super 8.
- Album: Split between two debut albums: Amaranthe’s & Ghost’s Opus Eponymous.
- Song: Amaranthe’s Leave Everything Behind.
- Concert: Rush.
- Book (fiction): Jo Nesbø’s Suruton.
- Book (non-fiction): Jane McGonigal’s Reality is Broken
Ethan Marcotte: Responsive Web Design.
- Publisher: A Book Apart.
- Comic: Lewis Trondheim & Fabrice Parme: Paniikki Atlantilla.
- Strip: Fingerpori.
- Webcomic: XKCD.
- Television Show: Game of Thrones
- Gadget: N9.
- Videogame: L.A. Noire.
- Boardgame: 7 Wonders.
- Dinner & Bar: Blue Smoke.
- Sports-related: Ilmaveivi.
- Person of the Year: Stephen Elop.
One of the reasons why the blog had its silent period was the short and terminal illness of the household electronics use prevention officer, Nadja the cat. Who liked to sit on laptops, irrespective of whether they were closed or not, and especially if somebody was using them already.
The inherited elderly cat was a constant bundle of joy, and I still miss her seriously.
Nothing remains the same.
Sure enjoyed the five week holiday.
And am not relishing the too-early wakeup call tomorrow.
Two 25+ degree days = a good start for the holiday.
Five weeks of idleness.
Aging in San Francisco feels odd.
It’s not the first birthday spent out of Finland, but in the days of jetlag-infused stupidity I certainly do not feel any wiser.
Fear Of Missing Out – pleading guilty.
Regular gigs and movies (in theatres, that is) have been semi-disrupted by the move to suburbia.
Last year failed the traditional new year’s resolution on both (once a month, at least on averages).
Hence decided to formalize some activites as year-long therapy projects:
- Go see a movie every month.
- Go see live music monthly.
- Learn a new board game every month.
- Cook something new (using a new ingredient, method or something else) monthly.
- Set up the balcony gardens as soon as feasible.
- Play a new interactive fiction game every month.
- Program something meaningful.
The list is open-ended, and will be extended as time passes – the relevant blog entries will be tagged with a “therapy project 2011″-category retroactively.
Had not one, but two packages from the co.uk instance of Amazon go M.I.A.
One order, two packages, both missing, ten days past the calculated delivery date.
As the finnish postal service provides no tracking service for packages, the only recourse was to turn to the amazon customer care.
Who delivered in spades. At least in theory: my order got forked into a new copy, and the second run is set to arrive at the end of the month.
After two busier than busy weeks, it’s time to resume blogging.
After taking a long walk in the gorgeous winter sunshine first.
Lavonius and the Mothership is a Philadelphia band with a name that leads to an instant mention here…
General retrospective, in no specific order.
- Still working for Nokia.
- Released no new phones, only a couple of SDKs.
- Still living in Espoo (and commuting without a car).
- Visited only one new country: Poland (and even that was an unplanned extra leg).
- Saw fewer movies and live concerts than I planned.
- Blogged quite a bit.
- Still busy in Facebook.
- Less so in Twitter.
- Quite busy on Gowalla.
- Less so on Foursquare (and other location-based services).
- Even less so (pitifully, actually) geocaching/waymarking.
- Bought an iPad and a new Macbook Pro.
- Took plenty of photographs.
- Spent a gloriously good nine days in Japan.
- Visited Lapland for the first time in wintertime.
- Didn’t set up the aquarium (actually booted it on account of the bottom plate having cracked).
- The sequel to Guns n’ Roses’ Chinese Democracy was not released.
- Did some actual therapy projects: chili grew well and the first Rails-project got off to a decent start.
- Album: Live on Lansdowne, Boston, MA by Dropkick Murphys.
- Song: Raptori’s remake of Tosi Tarttuva Täytebiisi.
- Concert: Turisas in Nosturi.
- Movie: Toy Story 3.
- Book (fiction): Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell.
- Book (non-fiction): Aitoa Ruokaa by Mats-Eric Nilsson.
- Television show: Castle.
- Gadget: iPad.
- Game: Mass Effect 2.
- Portable game: Tilt to Live.
- Webgame: Frontierville.
- Dinner: Farang.
- Comic: Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O’Malley.
- Web-comic: XKCD.
- Sports-related: Spain’s world cup victory.
- Person of the year: Bradley Manning.
- Bar: American Bar, once again.
Seventies municipal traffic in Helsinki.
One extra weekend, well-deserved.
Went on a rampage in the last few weeks to purchase dvds to tide over a rainy and boring autumn.
Only two of these were full-priced. No prizes for guessing which.
- Whole Ten Yards.
- The Faculty.
- Stranger Than Fiction.
- Brokeback Mountain.
- Public Enemy #1, parts 1 and 2.
- Battlestar Galactica: The Plan.
- Bitch Slap.
- The X-Files: Fight The Future.
- The X-Files: I Want To Believe.
- Edge of Darkness (the Mel Gibson version).
- The Cove.
- Sherlock (Steven Moffat’s).
- Night At The Museum.
- Night At The Museum 2.
- The Warriors.
- Tora! Tora! Tora!
- Exit Through The Gift Shop.
- The Spirit.
- A Scanner Darkly.
As a non-practicing acrophobic, this free-climbing video of a typical workday is nothing but scary. Compared to this, struggling with SAP and other unco-operative tools is not such a bad deal.
The actual video is now gone from Youtube, but watchable on the io9 site linked above.
- Books catalogued in LibraryThing: 362 (two weeks – still no prohress).
- Stars discovered in Super Mario Galaxy: 28 / 120 (Freezeflame Galaxy proved too much for flu-slowed hand-eye coordination).
- Crew members recruited and made loyal in Mass Effect 2: 11 / 12, 7 / 12 (recruited Tali, loyalized three more crewmembers).
- Pending movie review articles: 6 (Toy Stories and GET LAMP added to the backlog).
- Pending game of the week articles: 5 (no progress).
The attached image is a Mass Effect 2 cosplay.
- Books catalogued in LibraryThing: 362 (two weeks – no progress).
- Stars discovered in Super Mario Galaxy: 28 / 120 (Gusty Garden Galaxy done).
- Crew members recruited and made loyal in Mass Effect 2: 10 / 12, 4 / 12 (no change).
- Pending movie review articles: 3 (did Heat).
- Pending game of the week articles: 5 (Plants vs. Zombies).
The attached image, very appropriate to progress in Super Mario Galaxy depicts what could happen if goombas weren’t just bits.
Cut the stay in chilling Helsinki very short.
An abbreviated 6Pack show at Sir Eino.
Sushi at Masabi.
Cut loose when the number of kids milling around exceeded comfort level.
- Books catalogued in LibraryThing: 362 (still in the livingroom, with two shelves to go).
- Stars discovered in Super Mario Galaxy: 25 / 120 (quite enjoyable).
- Crew members recruited and made loyal in Mass Effect 2: 10 / 12, 4 / 12 (no change, it’s been a busy week).
- Pending movie review articles: 5 (one in, one out).
- Pending game of the week articles: 6 (no change).