Seen so few of the movies that opinions would have been entirely guesswork.
As expected, my score on the Empire Best of 2013 is exquisitely low.
Of the fifty movies selected, I’ve seen two. And the second one only after the list was published.
For those keeping the score at home, the ones seen: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and Only God Forgives.
Lake Superior State University has once again compiled a list of the words that have no place in 2014.
Sadly, the likes of selfie and twerking are here to stay.
- Tunemio (application): 600+ commits, around 30k lines of code, mainly Objective C (with a tiny amount of hairy bridging code in C++.)
- Fingerporilainen: a couple of hundred lines of application code and about the same on the server.
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy for iOS: just integration work, no code.
- Final Exam: made sure it compiles with newest Inform, no real work on this.
- Pictures taken: Far less than I should have (somewhere in the 1000-1500.)
- Cameras: Added iPhone, apparently removed Ixus (no idea where it has gone.)
- Memes participated in: The same, though during the great posting drought of latter half, they, too suffered greatly.
- Changes planned: More pictures for starters. And to kinda force my hand, I shall use an APOD-scheme to ensure daily photography.
These cool snow moomins are from last winter, there’s still no snow on the ground.
- Blogs: Two.
- Engine: WordPress.
- Entries: 225 (here, riding strongly on a 90-entry January.)
- Pace: Slackened, terribly.
- Backlog: Long (plenty of “Reading 2013″ entries to complete.)
- Changes done: Accidental only.
- Changes planned: Some, mostly to keep up a steady tick of articles.
- Film: The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug (saw a grand total of TWO movies in theatres, and this was the better one.)
- Television show: Doctor Who.
- Album:Ghost’s Infestissumam.
- Song: Rose Tattoo by Dropkick Murphys, off Signed and Sealed in Blood.
- Concert: Rush.
- Book (fiction): Jo Nesbø’s Panssarisydän.
- Book (non-fiction): Chris Anderson’s Makers.
- Book (domestic): Antti Tuomainen’s Parantaja.
- Comic (graphic novel): Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples’ Saga.
- Comic (strip): Fingerpori.
- Comic (webcomic): XKCD.
- Videogame: Hay Day.
- Application: Evernote.
- Social network: Untappd.
- Gadget: iPhone.
- Boardgame: 7 Wonders.
- Dinner: The one at Muru.
- Bar: Kaisla.
- Sports-related: Utah Jazz’s inexplicable desire to tank by selling all its marquee plyers.
- Person of the Year: Edward Snowden.
- Watched Elmo grow and learn things at his own pace.
- Released Tunemio for OS X and reached #1 position in 10+ countries with it.
- Worked a lot on Tunemio for iOS.
- Worked a lot on funding Huimio.
- Sold the house.
- Bought a house.
- Visited no other countries at all (Tampere does not qualify).
- Blogged less and less.
- Bought an iPhone.
- Didn’t have a haircut.
- Turned to the iPhone as the primary camera as we seem to have misplaced the Ixus during an open house.
- Played way less games.
- Didn’t have a functional DVR (went all Skynet on new year’s day last year).
- Didn’t pick up any geocaches at all.
- Grew quite a few chilis to fruits.
- Kept on being amused by our cats (and am harboring a tiny desire to get a kitten to accompany the two).
- Sequel to Chinese Democracy was not released.
- Neither was Hadean Lands.
- Therapy projects still on hold (though I did cook up a Fingerpori-reader while really frustrated with funding).
- Cooking therapy projects didn’t evolve beyond last year’s (Ancienne / Islay mustard worked this year, too, though).
Lake Superior University has once again decreed what words, terms and idioms should not be used in this side of the New Year.
The twelve listed fall into four buckets:
- Unavoidable: Fiscal cliff (the euphemisms are even worse), job creators/creation (not that Huimio aims to be one this year, but yeah), passion (yes, even referring to other things than the fruit), spoiler alert (when among geeks, there’s always somebody with holes in his repertoire, usually that’s me).
- Been there, done that: Double down (I think, even outside a blackjack table), bucket list (inspired by the movie, obviously), guru (only used on other people).
- Only ironically: Superfood (it’s just healthy food).
- Really, some people use this?: Kick the can down the road, YOLO, trending (never as an adjective), boneless wings.
That’s not a very good tally, isn’t it.
And yeah, it would be nice to check up on this at the end of the year (and repeat the exercise annually), time to add yet another seasonal thing to the blog, then.
The wikipedia searches show what was on the minds of people last year.
The list of the english wiki is pretty much predictable – companies, books, movies and news. Only one unknown term – but now I know that One Direction is yet another boy band (and hey, it’s been a good while since the previous).
The list of the finnish wiki, on the other hand, is odd. Half of the terms are as expected, but I really wonder what are the guitarist from Europe, a domestic publish-your-nekkid-pictures-site and Titanic (the ship, not the movie) doing in the top ten.
- Blogs: three-ish: this, obviously; the N9 Developer is defunct, and two new ones are gestating and not ready for the public.
- Engine: WordPress in all.
- Entries: here: 321 (quite a dip from the previous heights).
- Backlog: downright terrifying.
- Changes done: apart from the lowered posting rate and quality, not really.
- Changes planned: Huimio and Tunemio blogs will definitely see daylight. The two others as well.
- Film: The Hobbit, an Unexpected Journey (missed so many movies, it’s nowhere near funny)
- Album: Sabaton’s Carolus Rex (haven’t picked up the new Neil Young & Crazy Horse album yet)
- Song: Ett Livstid i Krig (off Carolus Rex)
- Concert: Paradise Lost in FME
- Book (fiction): Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One
- Book (non-fiction): David Crystal’s The Story of English in 100 Words
- Book (domestic): Emmi Itäranta’s Teemestarin Kirja
- Comic: Moebius’ Arzak
- Strip: Kamala Luonto by Jarkko Vehniäinen
- Webcomic: XKCD
- Television show: Boardwalk Empire (haven’t yet seen a single second season episode of Game of Thrones, though).
- Videogame: Mass Effect 3 (played for two hours thus far)
- Application: Paper
- Gadget: iPad
- Boardgame: 7 Wonders
- Dinner: The one in Nokka (with multiple morel-tasting dishes)
- Bar: Kaisla
- Sports-related: Spain’s continued reign, Messi’s incomparable production
- Person of the Year: Elmo Lavonius
What a turbulent year it was:
- Gained a son.
- Lost a mother.
- Left Nokia, stayed in the MeeGo organization to the end and was one of the people to turn off the lights.
- Founded a startup company, Huimio (and rented an office).
- Wrote thousands of lines of real production code.
- Still living in Espoo.
- Still busy on Facebook.
- Visited only one new country (China, on the most unlikely business trip so far).
- Blogged less and less as the year went on.
- Took fewer photographs. And the ones taken are pretty much single-subject only.
- Bought a new Ixus, no lenses for the DSLR.
- Bought a retina iPad.
- Played way less games.
- Geocached ridiculously little.
- Abandoned chili 2012 project in mid-flight.
- Was greatly amused by our two cats.
- Guns n’ Roses sequel to Chinese Democracy was not released.
- Therapy programming projects pretty much on hold on account of Tunemio, Huimio’s first product.
- Initial cooking therapy projects deemed successful: very nice Ancienne/Ardbeg-mustard and Strawberry liqueour for Christmas.
38 millimeters in 24 hours (in the rain-o-meter in the backyard).
Not exactly the expected amount in July.
- Was downsized by Nokia on February 11th when MeeGo organization was axed (still employed, still hunting).
- Despite the hardships, the N9 was released to great acclaim, and the Qt SDK target for it was well-received as well.
- Still living in Espoo (now with a car).
- Learned of upcoming offspring (Mayday delivery).
- Visited only one new country: Czech Republic.
- Was dismayed when Gowalla first went stupid and then got bought.
- Blogged quite a bit and went pro (N9 Developer) in the fall.
- Still busy in Facebook, not really so in Twitter.
- Though gave up Zynga games.
- Bought NO new gadgets or cameras (and only one new lens).
- Travelled the east coast.
- Spent a great 10 days touring the east coast.
- Spent four days in a mostly hostile conference environment in San Francisco.
- Geocached very little.
- Buried a cat.
- Did not set up a new aquarium.
- Guns n’ Roses sequel to Chinese Democracy was not released, but Metallica’s new “album” was.
- Therapy projects were therapeutic but went nowhere.
- Took plenty of photographs.
- And read a lot of books.
- Purchased a share in a whiskey barrel.
- Grew and harvested quite a few chili strains and species.
Full disclosure on cities where I slept during 2011:
- Espoo, Finland *
- Vantaa, Finland *
- Ivalo, Finland
- Nivala, Finland
- Seinäjoki, Finland
- Tallinn, Estonia
- Berlin, Germany *
- München, Germany
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Finksburg, MD
- Washington, DC
- Philadelphia, PA
- New York, NY
- San Francisco, CA
An asterisk denotes multiple stays.
- Blogs: 2 (this, and joint custody of the N9 Developer blog at work).
- Engine: WordPress here, Lifetype in the other.
- Changes: Not much. Plenty of photos, not much other substance.
- Entries: Here: 1009.
- Backlog: Fearsome.
- Forthcoming changes: TBC, nothing big planned.
- Film: Super 8.
- Album: Split between two debut albums: Amaranthe’s & Ghost’s Opus Eponymous.
- Song: Amaranthe’s Leave Everything Behind.
- Concert: Rush.
- Book (fiction): Jo Nesbø’s Suruton.
- Book (non-fiction): Jane McGonigal’s Reality is Broken
Ethan Marcotte: Responsive Web Design.
- Publisher: A Book Apart.
- Comic: Lewis Trondheim & Fabrice Parme: Paniikki Atlantilla.
- Strip: Fingerpori.
- Webcomic: XKCD.
- Television Show: Game of Thrones
- Gadget: N9.
- Videogame: L.A. Noire.
- Boardgame: 7 Wonders.
- Dinner & Bar: Blue Smoke.
- Sports-related: Ilmaveivi.
- Person of the Year: Stephen Elop.
Sure enjoyed the five week holiday.
And am not relishing the too-early wakeup call tomorrow.